Enlarged Prostate (BPH) Pictures Slideshow
Prostate Cancer Slideshow Pictures
Take the Enlarged Prostate Quiz!
What is Flomax (tamsulosin) drug
Flomax (tamsulosin) is an oral drug for the treatment of men who are having difficulty urinating because of enlarged prostates from benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
Is Flomax (tamsulosin) available as a generic drug?
Do I need a prescription for Flomax (tamsulosin)?
Why is Flomax (tamsulosin) prescribed to patients?
- Flomax is used to treat men who are having problems urinating because of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
- Flomax is not approved for the treatment of high blood pressure.
What are the side effects of Flomax (tamsulosin)?
The most common adverse effects of Flomax are
- anemia (decreased red blood cells),
- decreased white blood cells,
- abnormal taste,
- increased triglycerides, and
Other side effects include
- low blood pressure,
- abdominal pain,
- weight loss,
- muscle pain,
- abnormal ejaculation,
- upper respiratory tract infections, and
More serious side effects of Flomax
The following have been observed in male patients during Flomax treatment:
- orthostatic hypotension (low blood pressure when rising from sitting or lying down position),
- priapism (prolonged erection), and an eye problem called intraoperative floppy iris syndrome (IFIS).
What is the dosage for Flomax (tamsulosin)?
- The recommended starting dose is 0.4 once daily about 30 minutes after the same meal time each day.
- When taken on an empty stomach, more of the medication is absorbed.
- This could cause a greater effect and potentially a drop in blood pressure.
- The dose may be increased to 0.8 mg once daily after 2 to 4 weeks if the response is not adequate.
- The capsules should not be crushed, chewed or opened.
Which drugs or supplements interact with Flomax (tamsulosin)?
The elimination of Flomax from the body may be reduced by:
- ketoconazole (Nizoral, Extina, Xolegel, Kuric),
- paroxetine (Paxil),
- cimetidine (Tagamet),
- ritonavir (Norvir),
- lopinavir, and
- other drugs that reduce the elimination of drugs by liver enzymes.
Reduced elimination may lead to increased side effects of Flomax. PDE-5 inhibitors (for example, vardenafil [Levitra, Staxyn], Adcirca, sildenafil [Viagra, Revatio], tadalafil [Cialis]) add to the blood pressure lowering effects of Flomax and may result in severe blood pressure reduction.
Is Flomax (tamsulosin) safe to use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
- Flomax is not prescribed for women.
- This medication is used only in men. It is not known if Flomax is secreted into human milk.
What else should I know about Flomax (tamsulosin)?
What preparations of Flomax (tamsulosin) are available?
Capsules: 0.4 mg.
How should I keep Flomax (tamsulosin) stored?
Capsules should be stored at room temperature, 15 C to 30 C (59 F to 86 F).
How does Flomax (tamsulosin) work?
- In men, the tube which carries urine from the bladder through the penis (called the urethra) passes through the prostate gland. As men get older, the prostate gland enlarges, and the muscle cells within the prostate gland and the neck of the bladder (which controls the flow of urine) tighten. The combination of enlargement and tightening of muscles compresses the urethra and obstructs the flow of urine. This results in difficulty urinating and retention of urine within the bladder. The tightening or contraction of the muscle cells is controlled by nerves. One type of nerve, the alpha adrenergic nerves, cause the muscle cells to tighten by releasing a chemical related to epinephrine (adrenalin). Tamsulosin blocks the effects of this chemical on the muscle cells and causes the muscles to relax. This results in a decrease in obstruction to the flow of urine.
- There are other drugs that block alpha adrenergic nerves throughout the body and which are used in treating diseases of the heart, blood vessels, and prostate for example, prazosin (Minipress), terazosin (Hytrin), doxazosin (Cardura), and alfuzosin (Uroxatral). Tamsulosin is more active against the alpha adrenergic nerves of the prostate and bladder neck than these other drugs and has a lesser effect on alpha adrenergic nerves elsewhere in the body. For this reason, tamsulosin causes fewer side effects, especially low blood pressure, than other alpha adrenergic blocking drugs. Moreover, tamsulosin therapy can be started at the optimum dose whereas other alpha adrenergic blocking drugs need to be started at low doses with the doses slowly increased over time in order to minimize the side effects.
When was Flomax (tamsulosin) approved by the FDA?
Tamsulosin was approved by the FDA in 1997.
Reference: FDA Prescribing InformationLast Editorial Review: 7/11/2016
Daily Health News
Trending on MedicineNet
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Men's Health Newsletter
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
See more info: tamsulosin on RxList
Reviewed on 7/11/2016
Reference: FDA Prescribing Information
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men. Learn the signs and symptoms of prostate cancer, along with causes and treatments. Know the stages, survival rates and lower your risk of prostate cancer.
Read more: Prostate Cancer Symptoms, PSA Test, Treatments
Beware of Deadly Bug Bites & Stings
13 Myths About Alzheimer's Disease
Natural Cold & Flu Remedies
Managing Blood Sugar Swings
Cholesterol: What the Numbers Mean
Omega-3 Foods for a Stronger Heart
Low-T and Erectile Dysfunction
Joint Friendly Exercises
The Most Effective Birth Control
Lung Cancer Stages & Treatments
Migraine Triggers You Can Avoid
Why Heart Attacks Happen
Foods to Help You Concentrate
Your Cancer Questions Answered
Stop Wrecking Your Teeth
The Dangers of Blood Clots
Learn More About Eating Disorders
Surgery or Medication for Crohn's?
Tamsulosin Dosage 400 Mg - Flomax 0.4 Mg Capsule Viagra for sale in leeds Flomax Uses, Dosage, Side Effects Warnings - m
Is a Generic Version of Flomax Available?
Buy Viagra Online from Canada Drugs - Online Canadian Pharmacy
C mo evitar los efectos secundarios de Metformina
ComputerLink Systems Computer Store Computer Parts